At Gamesa Gearbox we work every day to develop projects that contribute to preserving the environment, committed to our goal of being a more sustainable company with the least possible impact on our surroundings.
How are we achieving this?
Thanks to the implementation of several initiatives in our production plants and the analysis of consumption and work habits, we have managed to improve our environmental impact and increase the efficiency of our facilities.
- A new evaporator is already in operation at the Sigüeiro plant, which means a reduction of 200,000 kg of water waste per year and a saving of €11,000/year. In this way, the Sigüeiro plant follows the path of Asteasu and Lerma in water recovery treatment. Between the three plants, they will add up to more than half a ton of reused water per year and a saving of almost 60,000 €/year.
- We achieved energy savings of 12,766 kWh/year with the intelligent lighting of the new Lerma warehouse. After analyzing the hours of activity in the warehouse, intelligent lighting has been installed, which is activated when it detects presence and automatically turns off when there is none. In addition to the energy savings, this improvement represents a saving of €3,000/year.
- We recovered a sludge press from Asteasu for use in Sigüeiro. Thanks to this implementation, we reused 709 kg of oil. The sludge press separates the oil from the sludge, allowing it to be reused. With this equipment, we not only avoid waste management, but also reduce the purchase of new oil, resulting in a saving of €1,600/year.
- We improved the efficiency of the compressors at Asteasu. The overhaul and repair of this equipment has resulted in savings of more than 200,000 kWh and 25,000 € per year. Following an audit of the compressed air system at Asteasu, several improvements were made to reduce energy consumption. On the one hand, all compressors and leaks detected at the three plants have been repaired, resulting in savings of 65,000 kWh/year. On the other hand, timers have been installed in the compressors of Asteasu I and II, which program their automatic shutdown when there is no activity in the plants. Thanks to this equipment, we have reduced energy consumption by more than 135,000 kWh/year.
- We improved the envelope of the facade of the production offices in Lerma, which has meant not only a reduction of 37,778 kWh/year, but also an increase in comfort in the workstations and a saving of €9,000/year. The work carried out in the technical offices in Lerma consisted of installing a SATE (Exterior Thermal Insulation System) façade and aluminum shutters. The investment in this project was 46,000 €, a cost that we expect to amortize thanks to a subsidy for energy improvement and savings in air conditioning over the next three years.
- We promote wood recycling with the Reuse Contest in Sigüeiro, a proposal aimed at turning this waste into a new resource. Workers at the plant have managed to give a second life to wood considered as waste, making new furniture, games and accessories for their personal use.